Sunday, January 3, 2010

Real World Season 23 Begins (spoilers)




    There are now so many Real World seasons, it's virtually impossible to keep track of them all. Knowing that there are 23 seasons makes me feel incredibly old. I always liked London, Seattle, New Orleans. It still hurts a little that every person now has to look like a model. Puck would never make the cast these days. I used to wonder why the cast members were only thin and muscular, but eventually I realized it... they have to be this way, because they are not only picked for Real World and Road Rules, they are going to be in the challenges and duels.

    Anyway, I think I'm looking forward to Real World, D.C.. I was delightfully surprised by the fact that the suburban jock was bisexual and announced it, while they all were discussing how many sexual partners they'd had. My favorite scenes were the religious debates/discussions between Ty, the muscular black Atheist, and Mike,  the white, Christian bisexual. It was great to see an Atheist stand up for his beliefs, because often (and as seen on the show) Christians find it blasphemous, if you say something contrary to their beliefs. On the other hand, Atheists are not expected to feel offended when someone also says something contrary to their beliefs.  While Mike seemed okay having this discussion, Ashley the self-proclaimed "oxymoron" would not let it drop.  She confronted Ty by telling him he needed to drop it, however, as a Christian she could not let him say there was no God, without telling him he was wrong.

Here's my rundown on the characters so far:
Ashley seems to have the real-life personality of Rachel from GLEE.  She's the kind of girl who says "let's just stop arguing" and then keeps the argument going in her own terms.  Fucking pick one.   Andrew is intriguing, as the silly art guy, but I'm considered he may be a little too immature for me to actually enjoy his antics. I was  amused by his posed portrait of 4 of the cast mates.  He actually just took a picture of the girls' cleavage.  There are the so-called  rockers Erika and Josh, who will most likely have sex.  Erika is absolutely disappointing and boring for the "rocker girl.  With her red hair, she reminds me of Hayley Williams from Paramore without being completely vanilla, and I don't have much admiration for Hayley.    Josh could possibly be cute if it weren't for his face and his strange hair. It's a mixture of the Jersey guido haircut and a curly mullet.   Callie is a stifled vegan who seems intrigued by any possible outlet of creativity.  She reminds me of a girl from high school, who knows they want to be artistic, but doesn't know where to begin.  I'll give her this: at least someone WANTED the Ronald Reagan room. I was afraid someone would get stuck in it without realizing the awful connotation that would come along with it.   The only thing I've gotten from Emily is that she was raised extremely religious, now she isn't, and she's got a thing for Ty. :: yawn::

To wrap it up, I can't stop loving the Real World.  Realistically I love most crap reality shows out there.  I love the stupid moments where they walk in completely surprised by the interior of the house.  It always looks like EVERY other Real World house.  Fish tank, circular rugs, pop wall art,  brightly decorated bedrooms. No Way!!   I guess I just need to remember that  these kids were probably drinking from sippy cups, while Montana was fighting with her bf Vaj.

3 comments:

  1. I also thought Erika looked like the girl from Paramore, and I suspect she will be like every Real World "rocker girl", which is to say forgettable. Andrew promises to be the funnest character, with his prop humor and pathological lying. And Ty is a breath of fresh air, an intolerant atheist. The rest of the cast doesn't even warrant me pretending to know their names (I had to look up the names I used) and I will likely only know them as the antagonists in plotlines about the characters I enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. To Bretterson, Thanks, Frankie.
    To Vrefron, I agree.

    ReplyDelete