Sunday, January 3, 2010

Public Enemies

     Today I completely intended to do a big review of the Johnny Depp movie Public Enemies. I took notes through about 45 minutes of the movie, but I couldn't even make it through. I love nothing more than a great gangster movie. I don't really like Johnny Depp. I love Christian Bale, but this was a snoozer. Just as the movie seemed like it was going to reach it's resolution, I checked the display... an hour left. I was very distracted by the large groups of white men all dressed in the same outfits, whether they were the good or bad guys. Even if that's what the real guys looked like, the acting was not enough to overcome it.  There were also the sepia tones, both created by the sets and editing, which washed the movie out.  The most exciting scene for me was a small cameo from Giovanni Ribisi, which totally left me get my hopes down. If you were really excited for this movie.... don't bother.  Don't even pay to rent it. Just wait for it to come out on demand.

 

1 comment:

  1. Agree. It was a boring movie with a few well executed heist scenes. I feel like they just handed Mann a garbage script and figured he'd turn it into 1930's heat. Depp did good as ever, though.

    ReplyDelete