Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Dead Woods

I didn't think I would be able to review an amateur film done by someone I knew.   My assumption was that I would not be able to take it seriously, and I would just have to hurt his feelings.  Turns out I was pleasantly surprised by Thomas Savage's slasher flick.  I love slasher movies, so I knew what I was looking for.

The movie follows the general outline of many slasher movies.  Young adults going to the woods, but something isn't right.   No idea is really new, so if you're going to do it, you should do it right.  Boom.  He did.   The twists are pretty original. I did NOT guess who the killer was, despite my certainty.  Tom decided to make a movie using his friends, and somehow got all of them to actually stick to it and make a feature-length film.  The acting is not horrible.  To an extent, Tom used a lot of the actor's real personalities to create the characters.  He also kept their real first names, which was a really good idea, when you are working with a bunch of people who are doing this for the first time.  He took advantage of this actor's real attributes and worked them into the movie.

I actually paid attention to the entire movie, and not just because I knew the people in it.  After 89 minutes that novelty wore right off.   Tom keeps jokes going throughout the film, which ensures that it will remain entertaining, and not just a bloodbath.  With limited resources,  the special effects were pretty great.   Through the Bloopers, I admired Tom's ability to stay calm as a director in what would seem like really frustrating situations.  He's very mild-mannered and he was working with some funny, but very Type A personalities.   He handles a large cast very well.  It wasn't too challenging to keep track of who the characters were and their relationships to one another.   Tom was able to get original music through the band Hell Rides North.  The lead singer is Ryan Arini, the male lead.



In my opinion, Shawn MacDowell stole the show.  He wasn't the main character.  He His quick-wit may not have been exactly in line with his pothead character.  Also, it may have just been how funny Shawn is in real life, but he is hysterical.  He had me belly laughing in a scene with a cat.   His timing is great, and I think he was the best actor in the movie although he is also credited as film production anarchist.  Shawn was allowed some of the best "fighting back" scenes. I don't know a better way to describe that.  I'm not a professional film critic, you know.

Drawbacks and quirks: There is a scene that isn't supposed to be a rape scene, but looks like it. While watching it, just assume it IS a rape scene, and you'll be fine.   The acting is not perfect, because they are not professional actors.  Because it was clearly filmed over a long period of time the character of Darren's beard changes, disappears and reappears from scene to scene. It's actually not there when he looks in a fridge and then is there when he pulls his head out.  It's actually so obvious that it makes it funny.  Also look for a happy dance from Sara Evans-Dunbar in a quick outside club scene late into the film.  There is cameo by the dashing Vance VanGogh, he's the guy with a beard and a red hoodie in one quick scene in the kitchen. That's the best scene by far.... okay so maybe I'm particularly fond of him.


I can't say I was scared, but I was definitely saying some  "AAAHH"s or "eeewww".  The film takes place primarily in Executive Producer and Actor Jeremy Thiel's home.  I've never been to Jeremy's, but I think I might be a little weirded out to go there now.  There were points in the movie where I thought "you know, Tom has left some things out", but he never once failed me.  Savage used every ounce of his limited resources.   Besides the feature length movie, there are bloopers, director commentary, and separate cast commentary.  I plan to watch it all, so I'm already committing myself to watching this two more times in its entirety.

So in Summary, watch the movie, watch the Bloopers, don't turn the movie off until after the credits. (The last words uttered on the screen are awesome.)  For more information go to    http://www.deadwoodsmovie.com/.  You can purchase the movie on the website for around $11 including shipping.

While you're at it, check out Tom's other talents at http://www.tomsavagestudios.com/.  His illustrations are mind-blowing, and I'm an illustrator so I would know.  I love him, but I will charge you less for any work you want done.  Sorry, Tom!

No comments:

Post a Comment